Thursday, January 14, 2010

Assessments

Today I decided it was time to go ahead and get a baseline assessment of sorts done with Thing 1. Afterall, if I'm going to build a curriculum around what he knows already and where I want him to go, I need to know where to begin.

I used the K12 language arts placement tests which put him at just about a second grade reading level. I was floored, and am SO proud of my little boy. He only really started reading back in August, and now in January he has quite a grasp on the concepts. He started getting distracted partway through the last assessment I did today, so I am thinking of redoing that one and seeing how he does with a fresh start. If he does a lot better, then I guess it'll be time to move on to the next level :)

This of course means that I am NOT going to be focusing on phonics for him. It would be way too boring for him since he stomped those assessments into teh ground. The only thing from there that he needs work on is capitalization in the proper places in sentences. He likes to use capitals Ds and Bs and Ps so he doesn't get them backwards.

Go baby go!

1 comment:

~Jenn~ said...

wow! That is absolutely amazing!